10 Questions with Nils Rasmussen
Nils Rasmussen, a 29 year old Canadian University student, has been studying sci-fi and detective literature for the past 13 years.
1. How long have you been writing and what got you started?
I’ve only been writing for the past 3 or 4 months actually. I got started because I wanted to see more 1950’s-style sci-fi in the public eye. I’ve been studying 1950’s-style sci-fi and detective literature and radio for the past 13 years and it never has lost its charm.
2. What is the best piece of advice you have for new writers?
Submit your work only in places that fit. Don’t just go submitting to every available source.
3. Are there any writing resources, such as books or websites, you’d like to recommend?
Sorry, I don’t really have anything to recommend as far as literature to help new writers. I would just encourage to keep reading your favorite authors (and in turn, looking for your favorite author’s favorite author).
4. What is your favorite type of fiction and who are your favorite authors?
Science fiction is by FAR my favorite. A few of my all-time favorite authors in this genre would have to be Robert Sheckley, Isaac Asimov, Ray Bradbury, Robert A. Heinlein and Philip K. Dick.
5. What tips do you have for finding time to write?
Some of my best writing is done when I just can’t fall asleep.
6. Do you prefer to outline a story in advance or write on the fly? Why?
I prefer to start out writing just on the fly, but then to create an outline once I have established a good base for the story.
7. How do you deal with rejections?
There will always be people who dislike your work. Not everyone has the same tastes. A LOT of people hate Stephen King but I think he’s doing pretty well for himself.
8. What are your writing goals for the next twelve months?
I want to finish the story I’m currently working on, “Myth of Man”, which will be the final addition to the short story collection I’m putting together to release.
9. For the next five years?
I’d like to have 3 full books under my belt by the time five years has passed.
10. Is there anything you’d like to plug? Feel free to share a link.
I also have a really amazing band, “Uncle Outrage”. We’re releasing our new CD “Space Legs” on Halloween, so make sure to find us on iTunes or directly through www.uncleoutrage.com